Making your home’s central heating system more eco-friendly doesn’t have to mean sacrificing comfort. With a Wiser smart thermostat, you can reduce your annual energy bills with its carefully designed features. But how does it work and how can you make your smart heating system greener? Here are Wiser’s tips for maximising your smart thermostat’s energy efficiency:
The Basics Of Smart Thermostats
Smart thermostats work best as part of a multi-zone heating system, and could reduce your energy usage by up to 50%. The precise and flexible nature of room-by-room schedules means your energy consumption could reduce by up to 10% right away, just by lowering temperatures when you’re not in. With this superior control of your heating at home or away, you could start saving energy from the very day it’s installed.
Adjust To The Weather
To save even more, check weather forecasts and tweak heating schedules to reduce energy wastage. When milder weather is expected, lowering household temperatures by just a degree or two can have an impact over just a few days. It’s why the ability to change your smart thermostat settings from a mobile app is such an important, eco-friendly feature. This connection to a phone makes schedule adjustments easy, anytime, anywhere.
Installing a smart thermostat is a great leap forward in making your central heating greener, but it’s important to make sure the rest of your heating system is checked and maintained to maximise efficiency:
- Bleed your radiators
- Top up the boiler pressure
- Balance system flow rates
- Insulate your pipes and water cylinder (if you have one)
- Consider replacing an old, inefficient boiler with a modern A+ rated model
- Think about arranging an annual service with your local heating engineer, who can carry out all of the above for you instead.
To check your energy savings month-to-month, how weather affects your heating, and more, use Wiser’s Insights & Heat Report to help you spot where you can save even more energy and money, whether that’s by tweaking the timing of your schedules, or adjusting set temperatures – every little helps.
Wiser’s other eco-friendly features include:
- Eco Mode – when enabled, the system learns about the heat retention properties of your home to save up to 7% more energy.
- Away Mode – enable this feature from anywhere to turn all setpoints down while you’re away, or automate it via geofencing.
- Open Window Detection – turns off the heating when a draught is detected to prevent energy wastage.
Improving Your Scheduling
The additional control that smart thermostats offer makes it easy to reduce energy wastage by adjusting your schedules, the essential element in an eco-friendly heating system. Smart thermostats possess a more intuitive interface than traditional heating controls, as well as extra features like smart home integration and compatibility with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant voice commands. This makes improving schedules as easy as possible whenever you feel you could make environmentally-conscious changes to your home!
Find more about how Wiser smart thermostats can save you energy. Please contact us to ask any questions on the eco-friendly features of our products, and for more articles on green technology, you can read our article on a more sustainable Britain here.